ChestnutYou might not have realized but chestnut is actually pregnant friendly, unless you are allergic to nuts. Chestnut helps improve gastrointestinal function during pregnancy, it can enhance immunity and help fetal development as it contains protein, amino acids and an abundant amount of vitamins and minerals.
Chestnut and Apple Soup
- 150g chestnut (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 apple (peeled, pitted and chopped)
- 1/2 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 stalk celery (roughly chopped)
- 300ml homemade chicken broth (see blog for recipe)
- 60g fresh milk
- 30g butter
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 200g water
- salt and pepper (seasoning)
Tips: Heat a pot of water, add chestnut at boiling point. Boil for 30 seconds to a minute. Drain. Peel chestnut.
- Heat butter in pan, saute garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and chestnuts, saute for another 2 minutes.
- Heat water and chicken broth in pot. Add 2/3 apple, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes, then add remaining apple.
- Pour everything in blender and blend till smooth.
- Return mixture to pot, bring to boil and simmer on low heat.
- Add fresh milk and simmer for 5 minutes.